Tuesday, January 15, 2008

note to self - fix your own chain!

This past week was full of good rides, failed ride attempts and excellent makeup rides. We made it out to our ‘weekly’ night ride on Tuesday... Last winter we rode practically every Thursday night no matter what the temperature. It seemed to always be freezing cold but after a couple laps we would all stand in our steam clouds while talking about how hot we had gotten. This year has either been exceptionally mild or we’ve been much lazier. I have gotten a good number of night rides in but I haven’t seen my own steam at all this winter… It was a beautiful night in Conyers and five of us were there with lights fully charged. The parking lot and the infield of the horse park were becoming covered with dense fog. The lights lit up the fog and limited our visibility making me think this ride was going to fun. We had escaped the fog right as we entered the woods and there was an immediate fifteen degree temperature difference. Throughout the trail there were patches of cold clouds attempting to block our way.

Conyers seems to hand out failures in pairs… On my birthday we had planned on riding three complete laps, one for each decade. We ran out of spare tubes after I got two flats on the exact same root on two consecutive laps. We ended up heading back to the house and kicked off the best birthday party ever just a little early. Tuesday night I broke my chain on the exact same rock where I left a link only a couple months ago. This latest failure has reminded me to buy some QuickLinks and makes me wonder how long it will be before Conyers takes my other collar bone.

Wednesday night is track night and this past week was really great. There were at least twenty people putting in some winter laps. I’m new to the track so I’m just happy to get into some pacelines and eavesdrop on the more experienced guys. I took off a little early so that I could have my favorite spinach salad at Ace’s with a side basket of curly fries. And a couple LoneStars – the puzzles are fun.

I woke up Saturday with 35 miles of Bull and Jake mountains in mind. After a Kirkwood breakfast and some dog park time…. I ended up only having time to make it to Blankets Creek. The place was completely slammed and I was quickly reminded why I don’t ride Blankets during daylight, especially on the weekend. It was actually really nice to see the number of people interested in riding and the number of families appreciating some quality time. It was really crowded, but apparently not many folks venture down to the South Loop.

Sunday I woke up with every intention of catching the airport ride. I ran around in circles all morning trying to get breakfast for Buckley and myself which meant a trip to the grocery store. I knew I was cutting it close, but unfortunately I cut right through it and missed the start. Later that morning I was lucky enough to get an invite to Chicopee and my afternoon plans were made. I broke a chain within the first mile and was again reminded to BUY SOME QUICKLINKS! We rode every inch of Chicopee at a killer pace and I was happy to get home and crash. My legs felt abnormally heavy and it appears my reliabilibuddies are on a mission to take out their revenge on Snake Creek. I guess we are going to ride hard for the next couple of months…. all business I guess? Not sure how I feel about that.

No comments: